Garden Torch Candles and Fire Safety
This site was voted:
Garden Torch Candles Defined
Garden torch candles are wax candles on a bamboo or wooden stake designed to be inserted into the ground or a bucket of sand. They are primarily used for outdoor lighting and decorative purposes.
Burn tests conducted by the OFM and by Health Canada on several types of garden torch candles confirmed that they present a significant fire risk to consumers. The candle flame can ignite the support stake that is embedded in the wax. Occasionally, burning pieces of the support stake break off and ignite nearby objects. The stake can also crack, causing the candle to tip over and ignite the surrounding area. In a particular case, the flaming wick fell to the ground and continued burning even after the wax had been used up. Dripping, splattering wax and very high flames have been reported in regard to these types of candles. Garden torch candle fires can cause not only significant property damage, but also serious burn injuries that can result in death.
Candles Fire Safety Tips
Regarding all types of candles, remember this:
Before importing or distributing candles, ask your suppliers to provide you with fire safety test results. If this information is not available, take initiative to have the product tested, or refrain from importing or distributing these candles.
Fire Safety Tips
A smoke alarm should be installed on every level of your home - especially near sleeping areas. Every month, test the alarms by using a broom handle or cane to gently push the alarm test button to ensure their effectiveness. Make sure everyone can hear the smoke alarms from all areas of the house.
If you smoke, practice fire safety properly by always using a large, deep ashtray and completely extinguishing your cigarette butts. Never smoke lying down, if you are drowsy, or in bed.
If you cook, wear tight-fitting clothes and roll-up your sleeves. Do not reach over a hot burner. If a pot catches fire, cover it with a lid or dump salt on it, and turn off the burner. Play it safe and never leave your cooking unattended.
do I do if I catch on fire?